Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Re-do of Old Metal Chair

Hello my fellow crafters! It has been quite awhile since my last post, but I have a lot coming your way.


I would like to share my most recent project. This old, rusty, worn metal chair has spent many days hiding in the ivy of my grandparents' backyard. I decided to give it a new life. Here's how...

What you need:
- Lots of sand paper
- Rust remover
- Vinegar
- Hose
- Towels
- Spray paint (use a paint that has a rust preventer!!!)
- Clear spray paint

Instructions:
1. Sand away! Remove all the dirt and grime
2. Apply rust remover (follow directions on bottle)
3. Spray with hose
4. Dry with towel
5. Keep sanding
6. Soak towel in vinegar
7. Lay towel on rusted areas
8. Leave for about 5 hours (or longer)
9. Spray with hose
10. Dry with towel
11. Spray paint!
12. Make it unique! I made my own stencil (saves money) and then used it to create the design
13. Let dry
14. Spray on clear coat of spray paint

New and Improved!


The de-rusting was a challenge. Make sure you wear glasses, a mask, and gloves. The work will pay off! The spray paint will go on more smoothly with less rust.

Rust be gone!

Good luck!

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment